[OM] Son of Big Foot to ship in August

Subject: [OM] Son of Big Foot to ship in August
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 19:49:48 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/86/1605286.jpg

It is available for pre-order

Looks very nice but not in OM mount like the 125. It is said to have 3 floating
elements.

I suspect the new 110 may outperform Big Foot (CV125/2.5).  I have the 125 in
OM mount of course. I was curious as to the design as both have 58mm filter
size. A little digging revealed CV 125 has 11 lenses in 9 groups and the 110mm
14 lenses in 12 groups. There is clearly a large amount of FL shortening to
achieve 1:1 mag in the CV 125 as it loses much less light than my Z 135 bellows
lens of almost same focal length. This is also revealed by the working
distance. Using thin lens approximation to obtain an idea of "effective focal
length " at 1:1
 ("EFL"= MFD/(2+m+1/m) or MFD/4 at 1:1.
 This is 95mm for the CV125 and 87.5 for the new 110. (MFD listed as 380mm for
CV125mm and 350mm for the 110)

 Oh, another perhaps major difference for hand held shots is the new 100 will
almost undoubtedly have a "focus distance encoder" like the 65 despite being
MF--this should enable 5 axis image stabilization (vs 3 axis on OM AR4x)
unlike any situation with the 125 (except tripod use of course). It does not
seem likely any of the AF adapters for MF lenses will even allow for manual
input of focus distance to enable x/y plan IS.  Techartpro was thinking about
it, but too much work for their one engineer apparently.

Tempted, Mike