[OM] OT: British Food

Subject: [OM] OT: British Food
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 11:12:09 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I spent most of yesterday driving around with a friend on one of our
occasional bargain hunting expeditions, plundering thrift stores and marked
down items in grocery stores.  In one of the latter I came across a large
quantity of cans (tins) of Lyle's Golden Syrup, aka "Treacle".  This stuff is
made in the process of refining sugar cane or sugar beet juice into sugar, and
is often used as a substitute for honey.  It is horribly sweet.

     It has been in constant production since 1885, and in 2006 it was
recognised by Guinness World Records as having the world's oldest branding and
packaging.

     In the 1950s my grandmother would send two packages a year filled with all
sorts of British confections, including two 1-quart cans of this stuff.  We
would spread it over bread and butter as a snack.  I'm surpriswed that I didn't
suffer any long-term effects from all that sugar.

     I bought four cans.  Now I need to find some coarse-grained bread.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson