Re: [OM] Informal Portrait Help

Subject: Re: [OM] Informal Portrait Help
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 14:07:19 -0700
On 6/28/2018 9:31 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
That panorama looks like a lonely place, Moose.

Interesting. But not true. On the far right is a snippet of the main street of Mendocino, CA (AKA Cabot Cove, Maine, in the old TV series "Murder, She Wrote".)

It's sunset on a Wednesday in February, so pretty quiet. On the weekend and in the summer, the area in front and down on the peninsula would be full of people walking the trails and the lone car would be several. The restaurant* filled up shortly after our 5:00 reservation, possibly because it was Valentine's Day. :-)

If you click on the 'i' button, you should see a map inset that shows how the Mendocino Headlands SP surrounds the town. We owe it all, and the enduring charm of Mendocino, to the efforts of one woman, who rallied residents and visitors in the early '70s to fend off developers and preserve the wild(ish) area.

A view looking back the other way. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Marin%2C_Sonoma%2C_Mendocino_Coast/Mendocino&image=_B007365rotcroofm.jpg>
Close to the same time relative to sunset, but later on the clock, as later in
the year.

A  little longer FL.   In addition to the folks enjoying the sunset on their balcony, you can see the sign for the bookstore** in front of which the 'lonely' image was shot.

I was pleased to see a dark foreground: I always thought that you preferred to
raise the lighting.

I pay a fair amount of attention to dark foregrounds. I generally like there to be something there to see, no matter how subtle (exception below). In this Mendocino photo, the small, bright flowers against a little texture do that. But it's tricky. Most of my viewers see my images on screens - with varying brightness settings.

The way mine shows this has the detail of the run/taxiways just barely visible. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/T5Uv7fcV8ujkRqPV7> But I imagine there are those here who would see them as fairly bright and others who would see almost all black. Prints have similar problems. Ones that look good on our walls lit by indirect daylight look too dark at night, without special lighting.

This was taken with the intent to be silhouette, with the foreground black. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Marin%2C_Sonoma%2C_Mendocino_Coast/Mendocino&image=_A001072croofm.jpg>

I think the road "makes" this one, so I made sure it's visible. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Marin%2C_Sonoma%2C_Mendocino_Coast/Marinoma&image=_B003204rotcroof40.jpg>

Shadowy Moose

* Used to be called 'Moose's', but the food's still excellent since it became
Trillium.

** OK, I lit it up a bit. :-)