[OM] Oh Deer! [was browsin' in the poppies} attn: Jim and AG*

Subject: [OM] Oh Deer! [was browsin' in the poppies} attn: Jim and AG*
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 14:45:13 -0700
On 6/29/2018 8:25 PM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Jun18/deer_06-29_0012.jpg

Wonderful capture of a beautiful animal!

didn't know they'd like CA poppies.

I've already misunderstood a TIC comment this week, but here goes again . . .

Those are not Calif. poppies, but exotic imports. We often have both kinds in our garden, as well as hybrid Calif. poppies, in mixed colors, including red.

[BTW, Calif. poppies vary in color and height with distance from the coast. The classic bright orange is an inland type. As one nears the coast they shift toward yellow, sometimes oranger in the center. On many coastal bluffs, along roadsides near the coast, etc., there are ground hugging, pure yellow ones. Some of the most beautiful, purest yellow of any flowers.]

Deer do indeed eat our state flower - sometimes. Here's an example.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=22953>

The two clumps of green along the bricks are poppy plants. We enjoyed their blossoms for maybe a week before, whump, they were gone. Now some new ones have popped up for while. Will the deer eat them, too? Sometimes they do, sometimes not. Does it have something to do with how mature the flowers are? Are they not tasty, so only eaten when other forage is slim? They don't eat the plant, only the flowers.

There's no shortage of deer, that's for sure, which is why our garden is fenced. These poppies are out along the street. Although native, their presence in that spot may have something to do with Carol scattering seed pods. :-)

Orange You Glad I told you all this?

Grand Poppy Moose

* E-1 & 14-54, Master 2 => TIFF => PS