Re: [OM] Oh Deer! [was browsin' in the poppies} attn: Jim and AG*

Subject: Re: [OM] Oh Deer! [was browsin' in the poppies} attn: Jim and AG*
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 20:54:27 -0700
On 6/30/2018 8:23 PM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
Those are not Calif. poppies, but exotic imports. We often have both kinds in our garden, as well as hybrid Calif. poppies, in mixed colors, including red.........
FWIW  These deer were in a client's wild backyard garden with several kinds of poppies growing. they were selecting out the CA poppies for munching. You can see a few. I tried for a shot when they came up with a mouthful but was unsuccessful. Focus is difficult with so many targets and so little time as Wayne mentions.

Interesting about color variations with distance from the coast. Here they are mostly a uniform shades of orange with a random shading to light yellow. Occasional red which I suspect is a runaway exotic which is a different species, a true poppy. Not those CA wannabe's ;).

Deer in garden:
<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Jun18/deer_06-29_0007.jpg>
<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Jun18/deer_06-29_0011.jpg>

Typical CA poppy field here. Beginning to close for the evening. Photo's not great but for illustration: <http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Jun18/poppies_06-25_0021.jpg>