[OM] Nature of the Universe and How to Ride the Wave [was Damn, I'm exci

Subject: [OM] Nature of the Universe and How to Ride the Wave [was Damn, I'm excited!]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 21:31:09 -0700
Cheap tricks is right and perhaps characterized as downright dastardly after
spending north of 3K.

I think it's fair to only blame it on the $2K for the camera body. The lens is
innocent. ;-)

I can imagine the meeting in which it became clear that they couldn't set a $1998.00 price point in NA AND hit their desired starting margin without changing something in the package.

The manual is about 100 pages and not very helpful--the  "real manual" is the "Help
Guide" is 650 pages and not offered in print form, AFAIK.

I could print it, but I wouldn't. I Prefer PDF manuals. The search function gets me where I want to be much faster than playing with a paper copy. I have ALL my camera manuals on my phone and tablet., as well as computers and DropBox.

It is a complex bugger to configure just right.

https://briansmith.com/sony-releases-650-page-a7r-iii-help-guide/

Contrary again, Moosie?

Given my choice between a highly customizable camera and one limited to someone else's
ideas, I'll take category "A".

Given my choice between a too through manual and the all too common omission of some
details, I'll take category "A".

All menu systems for highly customizable cameras are "too complicated and hard to understand". The sun will also go down each night, whether you are ready or not.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I have a Logitech MyHarmony remote for our "entertainment center". Very fortunately, they have eschewed the old model of entering special codes for each device in favor of connecting it to a computer and using a program to configure it. And thus, it can also do more useful things.

Oly, whether they know it or not, have taken the first step, with the ability to save full camera configurations to disk. It's only a small step to an app to edit configurations and load them into cameras. (It is, of course, in a binary format, without magic decoder ring. Otherwise, many bricks.)

Looking Forward Moose