Re: [OM] IMGS: Iran

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Iran
From: Christopher Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 20:59:17 -0400
Iran and the US had a very close relationship before the 1978 Islamic
Revolution. The last Shah (king) of Iran, Muhammed Reza Pahlavi, ruled the
country through a brutal secret police organization that regularly
tortured, raped, and murdered people.

The Shah saw himself as a modernizer in the mold of Turkey’s Mustafa Kemal
Ataturk, who secularized Turkey, granted women equal rights, and
de-emphasized religion in public life. While Ataturk was able to do this
without killing and torturing people (Turkey was very different culturally
than Iran, and Ataturk was a war hero with huge popular support), the Shah
was not. He was perceived to be an American stooge, because he was put in
power after the CIA killed Iran’s democratically elected prime minister in
the 1950s.

Those are the reasons the shah was overthrown by religious leaders (Iran
had other dissident groups, like the Communists) rather than by other
opponents of the Shah and why the Islamic Revolution’s leaders hated the
US so much.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Like My Work on Facebook

On 7/10/18, 7:37 PM, "olympus on behalf of John Hudson"
<olympus-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf