Re: [OM] OT: Alaskan Aitplane Crash

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Alaskan Aitplane Crash
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 09:59:59 -0800
> I carefully examined the photo we have all seen. The wings are toast. Ir
> appears the fuselage may be bent.

Well, let's change perspectives a little bit. If this was a rare WW2
war-bird, there would be no hesitation in rebuilding it. But for an
airplane of this classification (air taxi), there comes a point where
any attempt at repair is certainly BER. And this particular airframe
has led a pretty rough life. No doubt that the salvage company has
already found buyers for every conceivable part off the thing. And the
PT6 has a lot of worth too--even as a parts machine.

As I work a couple blocks away from Merrill Field, I run over there or
pass there pretty regularly. There are always airplane carcasses that
are undergoing some form of restoration. There are multiple shops
there at Merrill that will rebuild pretty much anything. They'll
source salvaged stuff from all over. It might take 25 crashed 185 to
make a new 185, but they do. As far as the Cubs are concerned, those
are easy. As long as they have one part with a serial number on it,
they can build an all new aircraft around it.

AG