[OM] Did you watch a few seconds? [was ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ]

Subject: [OM] Did you watch a few seconds? [was ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 14:07:21 -0700
On 7/13/2018 9:37 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
Yes, I know, charts are boring.
But whataya gonna do eh?
Good test. I believe that it is a fair and accurate representation of
those two lenses at that particular focusing distance.

Thanks.

I do believe that at or near infinity, the OMZ 500/8 will be a bit better.

The old cant from folks like Norman Whatshisname, the chief tester at Modern Photography is that lenses were designed to perform best at 1:40. If that is true, then it should get worse, although it may be a very tiny amount.

That raises two questions:

1. How do I test them at closer to infinity? I don't know if you, or Jan, watched my tiny video. Only five plays, and one is probably mine. I've just posted a different teaser, to see if I can draw a few more eyeballs.

It's a REAL EYE OPENER for anyone who shoots even modest distances with teles.
<https://vimeo.com/279563550>

That means outdoors is not suitable for evaluating lens IQ separate from atmospheric effects. Is it really worth finding an indoor space long enough?

2. Does it matter? The test has established which of these two examples of different lenses is superior at their theoretical bests. But they are going to actually be used outdoors, in all kinds of conditions. As Jan said, "It's still nigh impossible to make a crappy lens perform under difficult conditions, while a good lens might be able to." So is there any point in refining the modest practical differences in resolution? The only thing anyone is likely to see between them in web images or prints is the halo bokeh of the mirror lens.

I now know which is the better lens and has the better bokeh. Is there more
worth knowing? Not for me.

I actually cheated a little, as I don't have the distance for 1:40 with a 500mm lens. I went with my max., then duplicated the ratio for the 100-400 - oranges and oranges. Some of the Modern tests of mirror teles also cheated that way.

One to Forty Moose