Re: [OM] Field of Dreams - Model 35

Subject: Re: [OM] Field of Dreams - Model 35
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 09:34:19 -0800
Jim (Laminar Flow) Nichols wrote:

> Well, you sure picked a fine pair for your nostalgic images.  The C-45G
> seems to be a one-of-a-kind conversion and the early photos I found on line
> are very impressive.  But, as with the DC-3 at our local airport, round
> engines can be very expensive.

It also has the wrap-around windshield too. This aircraft has had
pretty much every conceivable thing done to it other than conversion
to turboprop. From my viewing angle, I couldn't see the tail number or
the extended side window so I thought that maybe it was a modified
Queen Air, but the wing wasn't right. I had to do a little research to
figure out that it had the PacAero conversion.

> The Model 35 Bonanza is the only one I ever flew in, and I was allowed to
> handle the controls all the way from Tina's Rock Hill, S.C. to Tullahoma.
> It brought me home after I  flew a Piper PA-12 to Rock Hill for a radio
> installation, a mighty Narco Superhomer.
>
> That early morning solo flight to Rock Hill, into the rising sun, was one of
> the most pleasant flights I ever made.
>
> Thanks for the memories.

This one is one of the old ones too. Only two side windows, but the
windshield and nose have been upgraded. Most of the early 35s have
been modified to include a third side window. I flew in one once.
Seemed nice enough, but in the back seat I could feel a little bit of
side-to-side motion that wasn't what I was used to with the Cessnas.
But the wing dihedral made it a stable flier.

These aircraft are in an area where the aircraft are used for A&P
training at UAA. My guess is that the engines are inside getting
overhauled by students. I looked up the registrations on everything in
that area that I could see and most are current or relatively near
current. One aircraft definitely qualifies as an outdoor parts bin,
but I think everything there is getting attention.

Merrill Field is such a fascinating place. Of course you have your
rows of hangers like any other GA (General Aviation) airport, but
there are DOZENS of shops that maintain, overhaul, rebuild, refurbish,
or remanufacturer just about anything you can imagine. I believe that
all of the four seat Cubs were built here. (Think Pacer with Super Cub
performance). Most of the outdoor parking is along Taxiways C and Q.
But Merrill is two airports in one. Down on the south half is a 2000'
gravel runway that is kept snow-covered in winter for ski operation.
Most of the seriously off-grid aircraft (massive tundra tires) are
kept down there. But it's also a bit trippy down there because the
ground isn't even. After the earthquake, all the debris was used for
landfill. Every time the earth shakes, it all shifts position and
you'll get a new undulation that needs to be flattened back out. The
road is super fun to drive.

Alaska Regional Hospital also borders the airport and the majority of
the air ambulance flights from around the state operate out of
Merrill.

I've been around a number of pretty cool airports through the years,
but Merrill is definitely at the top of my list. If the type of
aircraft exists, you'll probably find at least one at Merrill. But
some of them do look pretty rough. (understatement alert).

AG Schnozz