Re: [OM] OT: Internet Service

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Internet Service
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 12:42:50 -0800
> This is why you should never use an e-mail address tied to an ISP. If you do
> not have your own domain (like the frozenlight.eu from which I am sending
> this message), then there are plenty of free e-mails like gmail etc. that are
> independent of who provides your access.

That's still no guarantee, but it does get you closer. I proudly had
compuserve and ibm.net email address thinking that they would be safe.
But, nooooooo. Don't get me started on my brief nightmare with AOL.
So, I got a yahoo address as soon as it became available and a gmail
address as soon as it became available. I've also had my own business
domain names for quite a while too. Last year I finally shut down the
image66media one. I let it go for three years after last use to make
sure I purged out all the straggler stuff and still didn't get it all.
The yahoo address hasn't been used for much of anything for years, but
still gets stuff from ancient contacts.

However, that said, I do use various accounts for different purposes
to provide a little bit of security through diversity.

But, alas, it's pretty much a given, that just like changing mailing
addresses and phone numbers, your email address will need to be
changed once in a while and it will always be painful.

AG Schnozz