Re: [OM] IMG: The Silver Sided (spotted) Skipper

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Silver Sided (spotted) Skipper
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 17:25:25 -0500
Thanks, Mike.  Those eyes always catch my eye.  And, the guys are reliable.  They're here every summer!

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

Nice image of the most well recognized skipper in N America.   Your image
encouraged me to read about them again including their 'pillars.

Insect frass may provide chemical cues for parasitic wasps to the location of
prey insects.   Many caterpillars that live in leaf nests, including the
silver-spotted skipper, forcibly eject their frass for considerable distances
to eliminate these chemical cues. Silver-spotted skipper larvae utilize their
anal comb to throw their frass a distance up to 38 body lengths!!

Staying out of the way,  Mike