Re: [OM] A Taildragger Once Again

Subject: Re: [OM] A Taildragger Once Again
From: Bill Pearce <billpearce@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 00:42:14 -0400 (EDT)
Beech was responsible for some of the most beautiful aircraft which also had
great performance and utility. As far as the tail goes, I like the looks of the
twin tail. Although is is in the prop wash, I'm unaware of any problems. The
only ones I'm aware of are the problems with the spar carrythrough in ones from
the earliest years. And Beech never turned a straight tailed 18 out the door.

I know there were at least a few with weather radar in the nose but still twin
tail taildraggers. A number flew overnights shuttling cancelled checks around.
They were owned and operated by (somebody's name) stage lines. A friend that
was a Cessna test pilot told of flying in one with a friend who worked for the
stagelines. He said he went to the airport, took one look at it and said to
himself "Do I really want to do this?" Not wanting to seem unmanly, he went,
and he said that when he got in the right seat, all became clear. It had the
latest gear in the panel in those pre glass cockpit days, full weather radar,
and the engines ran better than in the ones in the Cessna's he flew. They spent
all their money on engines and instruments, not on paint.

The turbine converted Bonanza was butt ugly. The same guys did a piston to PT6
conversion on the Duke. I had an opportunity to fly in a Duke once in the late
sixties, and I can tell you with a pair of PT6's it would have been the first
King Air. And it looked great.

Don't know where Beech will be going, but I can't imagine anyplace good.
Textron only bought them for the space to build the newer bigger Citations, and
their really enviable private runway. There is constant speculation that they
will kill off the King Air, which would be stupid. Insiders say that the head
guy for Textron Aviation wants to kill them now, but the president of Textron
told him Don't be stupid, When the rug came out from under the corporate jet
market, the King Air was the only thing that kept you alive.