Re: [OM] [OT] Oldish aircraft with photographic opportunities

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Oldish aircraft with photographic opportunities
From: Martin Walters <mwalters1440@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 20:47:08 -0400
Brian:

The large gun (essentially a field gun) was used for anti-submarine work.  It was known as the Tetse. The four machine guns were retained to help sighting on the submarine.

Mosquito initially came as an high-speed unarmed bomber, with I think something like 2000 lbs capacity. Later versions with a larger bomb bay could take a single 4000 lb bomb. By comparison, a B-17 could carry 4800 lbs of bombs.

The fighter bomber version came with 4x machine guns and 4x 20mm cannon in the nose. There was also a photo reconnaissance version used by both Brit and US forces (reverse lease-lend).

Martin