Re: [OM] IMG: Kennedy in Berlin, 1961

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Kennedy in Berlin, 1961
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 07:26:28 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Funny you should bring this up.  I was living in France when this took
place.  And while driving to the coffee shop I recalled for some reason some of
the propaganda they taught us in the Army-operated grade school over there.

     BTW:  I since learned that “Ich bin ein Berliner” translates properly to
"I am a cream-filled pastry".  What he should have said was “Ich bin Berliner”

>In connection with our upcoming move, I have been packing books and
>other things, including stuff that I have kept from my father’s things
>since he died in 2004. I discarded things (newspapers etc.) that he
>had kept but that had no obvious connection to him. I kept copies of
>articles that he had published and various other writings, and of
>course all the old family photos. But what I want to share here is an
>interesting historical document—interesting, both because of the events
>it depicts but also of the status that photography once had. It is
>basically a set of nine postcard-sized photos of Kennedy’s visit to
>West Berlin in 1961 (this is when he delivered his famous “Ich bin ein
>>Berliner” address) in a small cardboard enclosure. On the front it
>simply says “President Kennedy in Berlin”; on the back the publisher
>is identified—Kunst und Bild—and the buyer is assured that the
>enclosure contains “nine genuine photos”.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson