Re: [OM] OT: Earthlink Dialup Internet

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Earthlink Dialup Internet
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 19:47:46 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      The city here has been proposing a free city-wide internet
>>service for years.  I'm not holding my breath.
>
>It is a concept that has failed miserably everywhere it has been
>tried. And I've personally been involved in the deployment of a couple
>of them.

     It helps win the votes of techno-geeks who don't know any better.

>>      BTW:  The DSL service from Copper.net is cheaper than the
>>dialup service from Earthlink.  But, there's a serious problem: I'm
>>not close enough to an optical fibre node to be able to use DSL.
>
>The old adage "location, location, location" has never been more true.
>Fortunately, there are options...

     DSL is not available, and cable is not going to happen.  Going to a coffee
shop for a couple of hours is about the same cost, and it's a healthy social
environment.  Plus I like good coffee.

     I seriously bent the ear of an American Earthlink supervisor around 9AM my
time, and at 3PM the Earthlink connectivity was restored to better than it has
been in a while.  Backside speed has improved, and they are not hanging up on
me.  Being able to use Copper.net on the sly was a surprise, and I've set them
up as a backup.  I like the price of $0.00 as I've earned it.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson