Re: [OM] At the Beach

Subject: Re: [OM] At the Beach
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 14:40:51 -0700
On 7/28/2018 12:00 AM, Philippe wrote:
Love the shot! the waves and dress seem to be waltzing together

Thanks!!

Now the light: Exif says f7.1 - SP 1/800 - ISO 200 - there must have been a
fair amount of light to shoot so.
And yet, it doesn’t show in your rendition (which I in any case find
excellent). I had a feeling of dusk when the picture opened. Did it really look so or
did you cheat a bit to preserve her hat and the froth?

Pretty heavy overcast, very common on this beach in the summer. Just a few miles back on the road is a beach on Tomales Bay that was sunny and warm, with shallow, warm water and tiny waves.

Anyway, with the overcast, the DR of the shot was limited at both ends. This is what I did. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Misc/Beach.htm>

1. Pull top of histogram up to top, middle down a bit and bottom down partway.
2. Added a little drama to the woman, including some detail in the shadows.
3. Pulled the shadows down, while hoping to hold some subtle detail. How that worked may depend on the viewer's screen brightness.
4. Still playing with tonality, to retain the detail in the sweater and hold
shadow detail.
5. Only for the downsampled web image, deconvolution on the woman to retain
detail in sweater and hat.

So no, not an attempt to make it darker than it was. I've made it both darker and lighter, at the ends of the DR, but do seem to have lowered the midpoint, 'cause it makes for a stronger image, to my taste.

Manipulative Moose