Re: [OM] Dweb

Subject: Re: [OM] Dweb
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 09:24:53 -0700
> From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I?ve only just come across the Decentralised Web.

Neither your link nor its links really explained much, at a technical level.

How revolutionary is it? Does it still use UDP/TCP/IP? Does it still use DNS?
These keywords were not even mentioned.

I would think that, to meet its goals of hierarchy-independence, it would at
least need to re-do DNS. DNS is the main way repressive governments restrict
access. It's notion of root name servers and hierarchical domain names makes it
the easiest point-of-control on the Internet.

But then, at the transport level, TCP/IP itself carries source information that
can be traced by repressive governments. Although such info can be faked for
attacks and such, it cannot be faked if one desires two-way communication. So
it would seem the entire basis for the Internet Protocol would have to be
re-done to do a proper job. You'd need to have a distributed, pseudo-random
return address protocol of some sort.

Fascinating to think about, but I think "the current way" is too entrenched.
Nerve cells and synapses have been around too long for nature to re-do living
sensory systems, and the same may be true of TCP/IP.

Jan