[OM] Internet Outage

Subject: [OM] Internet Outage
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 15:13:05 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Around 1215 PDT I was writing a reply on Facebook when the connection went
dead.  Not the modem-to-modem connection, but the internet behind the Earthlink
modem.  Odd.  So I tried different modem numbers, getting the same results.
Then I tried some Copper.net numbers, with no improvement.  I tried another
modem on my end.  Then another laptop.  Then the desktop Win98/SE machine.
Still nothing.

     Seems we had a total internet blackout here.  I didn't bother calling
Earthlink tech support as they (on the other side of the world) would just give
me the usual "everything is fine" response, which is never true.  And I'm not
in the mood for pulling teeth.

     So, I walked over to the park to feed the ducks.  Came back home, and
around 1400 PDT the internet returned.  I wonder if an underground optical
fibre was cut by a flash flood or some contractor digging without a site
review.  Hard to tell, and nobody anywhere will ever admit to an outage.
Nuh-uh!

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson