Re: [OM] Any Love Out There for the Olympus E-410?

Subject: Re: [OM] Any Love Out There for the Olympus E-410?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:29:25 -0800
> I would bet it is possible to objectively determine accuracy, but to what
> end?  I would have thought your purple flower  example would have been more
> definitive though was intriguing nonetheless.  The sensor/ converter torture
> test I ran into was the proper depiction of simultaneous TRUE purple and skin
> tones.  The eye is extremely sensitive to errors in  the latter.  Marnie in
> her light purple jacket or near our purple clematis is a steep hurdle.   ACR
> with Canyon failed miserably  despite much effort though DXO OP was much
> closer.  I think current Oly cams would handle this if processed well. I
> think I already have suitable test images but they didn't even register with
> me because there was no issue.  Porta 160 in my previous lab's hands was spot
> on.

This is something that wedding photographers (and their labs) have
done battle with for ages. When you get the skintones right, various
flowers will go wonky. You can get the flowers right or the skin tones
right, but not both. The E-1 is among the few cameras/films (along
with Portra 160) that get it right. Most of the time...

To Moose's observation of the eye seeing an entirely different color
than the cameras/converters? Absolutely. But it also depends on the
lighting. Sunlight, vs shade vs cloudy vs artificial lighting.... It
all matters. In fact, it matters a lot if it's window light and the
type of glass used in the windows!!!! When you are playing around with
the extremes of color range (near IR and near UV) all these things
really matter. Again, the E-1 has a slightly extended response curve,
but that does bite you with blacks. Just like the famed Leica sensor
that needed IR filters, the E-1 sometimes is affected too. I generally
don't see a problem unless I'm using a flash that kicks out a lot of
IR. A Vivitar 285HV on full song will definitely cause grief.

AG Schnozz