Re: [OM] IMG: Why is it that

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Why is it that
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 14:26:16 -0700
On 8/27/2018 1:06 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
(I kept it after seeing it large if it may help judgement)
I agree. When viewed small, it's a tosser. But large and things get
very interesting. I'd like to see if there is anything that can be
pulled out of the highlights, but otherwise, I think your
interpretation of tones is pretty good.

The highlights are not recoverable in the posted JPEGs. The histogram look OK, but clearly they have been smashed against the top, then pulled down, and the highest tonal detail, if it existed before, lost in the process.

Might well be recoverable in conversion from Raw. But then, I know nothing
about X-sensor conversion and highlight recovery.

The shadows, though, are eminently pull-up-able.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Amard/Arbus-stop-1150.htm>

I did convert to 16 bit before messing about that much. There's still vignetting, but I didn't know if it's intentional, so I left it alone. The considerable perspective distortion is also correctable.

There are multiple stories in that photo.

Yes, indeedy!

Bootstraps Moose