Re: [OM] IMGS: Summerfest

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Summerfest
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 19:34:13 -0700
On 8/26/2018 3:18 PM, Moose wrote:

On 8/26/2018 3:01 PM, Tina Manley wrote:

<<<I'm trying out the new Topaz enlarging software A.I. Gigapizel which is
<<<supposed to be fantastic at making huge enlargements using artificial
<<intelligence.  I'm impressed so far but it takes several hours to process
<<<one photo!  I'll have to be very select with what I try!

Digitally Immobile Moose:

<I've tried it twice. First time, it locked up my computer. OK, so it was a full
size Raw file. So I tried a much smaller TIFF. I watched the green bar move slowly
across until it looked to be about finished - and BAM, computer locked up solid.
Reset, which I NEVER need, was the <only way out.
<They say it takes forever, but is supposed to run in the background. Not so
far.

<Ah, I see my GPU is one step below what's required. Problem identified, if not
<cured. :-(

Quite the resource intensive software but looks fascinating. Very glad Tina
mentioned it.   I had used neural networks to model some complex physiologic
processes--had to use a separate expensive board as the 486 took hours vs
minutes for the optimized board.  The network is only as good as the training
set used to construct it, however.  It seems to do well with skin and at least
seascapes and suspect many others.   See review too:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/topaz-ai-gigapixel-review/

The review implies it can be used as an image enhancing tool even if not used to upres
for a large print.  The processed images then downsized for display were improved.  The
software may actually "invent" details that were not there based on  network
optimization gleaned from previous training sets unlike L-R deconvolution that can only
recover some hidden resolution/contrast  generally using Gaussian blur as the presumed
PSF.   A large  crop processed through  GigaP then optimally processed by the usual tools
might be superior.  I wish DIM would be mobile and try.

Those graphics cards are expensive! Modest research indicates a $170 card, ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mini, should come close to their optimum, without heading to the half K$ level. <https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1294331-REG/zotac_zt_p10510a_10l_geforce_gtx_1050_ti.html>

May be especially good for MFT  sensor with fewer megapickles  and might allow
for more cropping with minimized loss of IQ, if my hypothesis is correct.  I am
not sure would trust the converter in GigP though.

Not without testing. But converting to TIFF in ACR or DxO is easy.

Invented Details Moose