Re: [OM] OT: Hurricane Florence

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Hurricane Florence
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 15:39:43 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     A number of years ago there was a deep low that began in Siberia and
entered into the Bering Sea just south of the srait.  That created a 40-foot
sea.  The ice floes that piled up on the Alaskan shore acted as a sea wall, but
even still one person was lost.  That storm created havoc all over North
America, and we got a good piece of it down here.  That might have been January
2010.

     One of the worst outposts of the USAF is Shemya Island, 'way out on the
far end of the Aleutians.  Many years ago there was an earthquake, and half of
the runway slid into the Bering Sea.  All you could get in there was C-130s.

>> Yes, the deep lows that encompass the entire NE Pacific/Gulf of AK make
>> tropical storms look puny in comparison. But they don't get a name.
>
>Typhoon Nuri hit the Bering Sea below 925 mb. It was pretty insane.
>
>But a normal winter day in the Aleutians is 75-100mph winds.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson