Re: [OM] The Pro's, v.s. the Mortals

Subject: Re: [OM] The Pro's, v.s. the Mortals
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 09:49:47 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
>
> While I really dislike the small sensor, I prefer everything else about
> Olympus.

There’s a 40-year echo in here!

I remember the “old days” when there was a STRONG bias toward medium or large
format. 35mm had to fight and struggle for acceptance. Even into this century,
many stock agencies would not accept work unless it came from medium format.
They sneered at my 5,400 spi drum scans of Kodachrome 25, because my OM-4T was
not on their “approved” list.

Fast forward 40 or so years. The same factors that drove 35mm into general
acceptance are driving the mirrorless revolution. But most manufacturers and
the gullible public got the wrong message: 45+ megapixels are nuts! How many of
us REALLY “need” that much data? Will the day come when interchangeable lenses
are irrelevant? Will you simply take a 180, and crop what you want? Or are
people REALLY making 50” prints with these things? And as the dot pitch
increases, the lenses need to catch up: you can’t just slap an adapter on an
old 35mm film lens and expect 45 megapixels of good data!

The bigger question is: can Micro Four Thirds survive the pinch between
“elitist” Fool Frame sensors on the top, and smart phones on the bottom?

For me, that’s an interesting academic question, but irrelevant to my needs. I
take much better photos with the camera I have today than with one I might be
buying in a few years. As long as I can get support for what I have, I’ll be
happy with it. I have yet to exhaust the capabilities of my E-M1.2.

Case in point: I just bought a twelve-year-old digital lens! That must be,
what, about 150 in “camera years?” But there’s nothing really like the Zuiko
Digital 35-100 f/2 made today, even for Fool Frame, and it’s broadening my
photography more than 45 megapixels would.

Jan