Re: [OM] OT: To Ken? Fly and shoot exprience

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: To Ken? Fly and shoot exprience
From: Bill Pearce <billpearce@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 14:38:02 -0400 (EDT)
In my younger days, I shot a lot of aerials. In general, I used Nikon F with 50
and 105 lenses, OM's with 35-70 zoom, 50 macro and 85, and Hasselblad with 50,
80 and 90. You will think you need a long lens, but that's not true. I have
very little experience with digital aerials, but I think m4/3 would be good,
light weight and small size will pay off big. I have shot once from a Robinson
helicopter with a Nikon D3, and the size and weigh were a constant problem.

The most important thing is to sit upright well belted in and do not brace
yourself against the window frame, interior wall, etc. If shooting through
plexiglas, dont put the lens against the glazing.The kind of plane used will be
small and will likely vibrate a lot, but OTOH not as much as a helicopter.
Don't know about current models, but Cessna 172's from the 60's, 70's and 80's
(sounds like a really bad radio station) had a metal bar that stopped the
windows from opening completely. This attaches to the window frame at one end
with a single screw. It can be easily removed, which allows the window to float
in the slipstream, remaining completely open without support.

And as always, gear is much less important than the operator.