Re: [OM] IMG: 1946 Piper J-3 Cub

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: 1946 Piper J-3 Cub
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 10:02:27 -0800
> Thanks, Chris.  I wish I could say I feel as spritely as that Cub with
> its 100 HP Continental.  The owner says it fairly leaps off the ground.
> I asked him about the cruise speed, and he said, "around 70", so he must
> have a "climb" prop installed.  That's the same speed I cruised at with
> the old 65 HP.

My friend's Super Cub has, I believe, the O-320, tuned for 150 HP. His
cruise speed is "around 80". But it's dragging around massive 29"
balloon tires and is setup for pretty rough operation. It's his
"hunting plane" and uses it to land high up on mountain sides. His
prop is a 44, so it isn't quite as spritely on and off the ground as a
42, but it doesn't bring you to a complete stop in the air like the 42
either.

AG