Re: [OM] Knotty Problems [was1946 Piper J-3 Cub]

Subject: Re: [OM] Knotty Problems [was1946 Piper J-3 Cub]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 11:43:05 -0400
On 10/4/2018 2:59 AM, ChrisB wrote:
I agree Moose, but GPS can go wrong, of course (the operator can make
mistakes), and understanding Nav techniques would be essential to back up the
tech solution.

Absolutely. When I first encountered ship navigation, they were using sextant and LORAN. LORAN seemed quite complex and had limited range, so crossing the Pacific, the middle part was sextants and dead reckoning, which was far easier on charts using nautical miles and knots.

Coastal navigation with radar was quite good when I was a radarman. The units
there were yards.

Where is Moose