Re: [OM] Climate Change

Subject: Re: [OM] Climate Change
From: Philippe <photo.philippe.amard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 09:28:13 +0200
An aside to the thread?

I just had a read about fake news and the usefulness of stating facts straight.
The author has conducted some academic research on UFO and astrology «
believers ». For him, humans are in a quest for coherence, when they’re not
always so coherent themselves. And they will choose the vision that most «
pleases » them, whatever the facts, this even if they paradoxically admit these
facts are true and opposed to their own vision. All of which doesn’t exclude a
necessity to express truths as they are. I guess the same applies to climate
change.

Other : Politics, and I’ll quote Wiki whose definition sums up the consensus
among researchers.
Politics (from Greek <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language>: πολιτικά,
translit. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Greek> Politiká,
meaning "affairs of the cities") is the process of making decisions
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision-making> that apply to members of a
group.[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics#cite_note-HagueHarrop2013-1>
It refers to achieving and exercising positions of governance—organized control
over a human community, particularly a state
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_(polity)>.[2]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics#cite_note-2>

May I dare to conclude that since we, as a group or human community, share just
one lonely planet (read city) between so many mindsets, those activities which
we, humans, are involved in, and which may contribute to global warming and its
potential side effects, are an issue that directly concerns politics as defined
by Aristotle if I’m not mistaken, i.e. "the organisation of affairs in the city
». So yes, the future of planet Earth is part of politics, in the most noble
sense of the word.

Amities

Philippe