Re: [OM] Climate Change

Subject: Re: [OM] Climate Change
From: Frank <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 09:18:51 +0200
Exactly. Those who wish to do nothing could be the lemmings of human kind.
First the change itself was denied, now the human part in it. Shooting the
messenger (aka the scientists) as default strategy.

Some interesting news <http://www.urgenda.nl/en/themas/climate-case/> from
the Netherlands yesterday:

"*The 2015 Urgenda Climate Case against the Dutch Government was the first
in the world in which citizens held their government accountable for
contributing to dangerous climate change. On 24 June 2015, the District
Court of The Hague ruled the government must cut its greenhouse gas
emissions by at least 25% by the end of 2020 (compared to 1990 levels). The
ruling required the government to immediately take more effective action on
climate change.*

The case, which was brought on behalf of 886 Dutch citizens, made climate
change a major political and social issue in the Netherlands and
transformed domestic climate change policy. It inspired climate change
cases in Belgium, New Zealand, Ireland, the UK, Switzerland and the US.
In September 2015, despite calls from leading scientists, lawyers,
citizens, companies and the 886 co-plaintiffs for it to accept the
decision, the Dutch government decided to appeal the judgment. It made this
decision even though it is taking steps to meet the target set by the
Court. The appeal was heard at the Hague Court of Appeal on 28 May 2018. On
9 October 2018, the Hague Court of Appeal decided to uphold the 2015 court
decision. In other words Urgenda won again."