Re: [OM] Way OT: Power supply for low voltage LED landscape lighting

Subject: Re: [OM] Way OT: Power supply for low voltage LED landscape lighting
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 11:40:06 -0700
> From: usher99@xxxxxxx

It's not clear to me what you are trying to power from what.

LEDs are typically forward biased, and can often be run from either AC or DC,
but their reverse breakdown voltage is generally low, so you run the risk of
burning them out on AC. Like zener diodes, they can "avalanche" and conduct
large currents when their reverse breakdown voltage is exceeded. I've seen LEDs
on a curve tracer that forward-biased at 3V, and hit reverse breakdown at as
little as 8V, which means a 12V AC source might well ruin it.

Always check the manufacturer's specifications and match it with your power
supply.

Jan