[OM] Living Life Vicariously - Frozen Opportunities

Subject: [OM] Living Life Vicariously - Frozen Opportunities
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 16:51:11 -0800
OK, so, here is the deal. While it isn't the middle of winter and -100
temperatures, I know that you all are excited to join me in my
wonderful adventure of traveling the entire pipeline. (or along the
various highways that parallel it). So, I'd like you to contribute the
collective group wisdom into determining what camera gear to take
along. Keep in mind that space is limited so I can't bring everything
with me.

I do have to document telecom equipment rooms so having something that
works well in poorly lit and tight rooms is critical. The 6D and the
E-3 have done pretty well in this application. I've got to photograph
equipment racks as well as closeups of fiber jumper labels and such.
Flash is sometimes helpful but usually a pain. The 6D with 21/3.5 lens
is likely the most usable combo, but the E-3 with 14-42 is acceptable.

The 6D does have built-in GPS. That would be handy for keeping track
of where pictures were taken along the 800 mile pipeline route. But
the accuracy of it is sometimes questionable way north.

The 6D does have good low-light capabilities in case we have a major
dose of Northern Lights. But I won't have a regular tripod with me.
(not enough space--I'm already pushing it to the gills with just
undies and a toothbrush). The Monopod may work, though. Or maybe my
small hiking tripod...

Unfortunately, the 6D also means carrying a slew of lenses. More space
constraints. But I could probably limit myself a bit. Nah. You know
that isn't happening.

So, the other option is to pack the E-3 and 14-42 and 40-150 lens and
the E-1 with second 14-42 stuffed away as a backup.

I'm leaning towards the 6D with 21/3.5, 35-80/2.8 zoom and 300/4.5 as
system 1, and the E-3 with 14-42, 40-150 and the OM adapter so I can
use the 300/4.5 for system 2.

Or, I can pack the 6D and the OM-3Ti and a huge wad of lenses.

We've estimated about 22 hours of windshield time over 9 days.

AK Schnozz