Re: [OM] Michelin Man I Am

Subject: Re: [OM] Michelin Man I Am
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 10:36:58 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I'm just thinking about which cameras to take with me on this 9 day adventure.

Uhm... an OM-3 and an external selenium light meter? Or anything else without
batteries?

When I shot the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, we had an arctic outflow
with -20C daytime highs. All of us photographers, from UPI/AP pros on down, had
battery issues. If you let it hang outside your clothing, you battery went on
strike. If you put it inside your clothing, everything frosted over the instant
you took it out.

I met a journalist from Whitehorse, Yukon, who had made a special "camera
parka" with an elastic hole for the end of the lens. The other optical end was
stitched tight to an aftermarket eye cup. It was real cute, quilted with down,
like those puffy jackets. It had a drawstring sleeve you could shove your hand
into to adjust the camera. He kept those little chemical pocket hand warmers in
there. I think he was the only photographer who managed to shoot the beginning
of the men's 30k cross-country, which they had to delay twice, waiting for the
temp to come UP TO the FIS-designated minimum temp of 20 below.

Obligate on-topic content: why look like the "Michelin Man" unless your camera
matches? :-)

Jan