Re: [OM] Spiratone Slide Copier

Subject: Re: [OM] Spiratone Slide Copier
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 10:40:11 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I've not heard before about Nikon and IR softening.
> NikonSoft software?

HA! Why would a camera company put "soft" in the name of their product? That's
like Mr. Lee naming his daughter "Ug."

I don't think it was the software. I also used Silverfast and VueScan with the
LS-4000. Apparently, the IR dust removal was done by firmware inside the
scanner. I recall there was a hubbub about it on the Internet at the time. I
scanned a Q-60 with and without it, and decided to do without.

Especially since my dust removal thingy was doing such a great job. It got
essentially 100% of the dust off the central frame. What dust remained was in
the corners and edges, and could easily be cropped out, or cleaned up without
having to search the entire frame.

Can't recall the name of that thing... I spotted it in the corner of a drawer a
while back, but can't find it at the moment...

Jan