Re: [OM] Living Life Vicariously - Frozen Opportunities

Subject: Re: [OM] Living Life Vicariously - Frozen Opportunities
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 09:55:49 -0800
Further considerations on the winter trip.I'm trying to shrink my kit
as much as possible and keep it practical. Easier said than done, of
course. The hazard that we have to battle is bringing gear for the "in
case of..." situation. An example would be: In case of aurora
borealis, I would want a big tripod, the Canon 6D and the 21/3.5 lens.
In case of alien invasion I would want a _____. But I really can't
pack for the "in case of" situations. I really need to be packing for
the 90% rule. And in reality, most of my stuff does the 90% rule
pretty well.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the E-3 as primary camera and the
E-1 as backup. I've got two 14-42 lenses and the 40-150. I'm VERY
likely to pack the 300/4.5 with adapter "just in case". The 6D would
stay home. I don't know about the monopod or tripod. I'd be carrying
just the two batteries and one charger.

I need to carry my laptop on this trip and will probably be able to
stuff it into one of my camera bags along with a minimum of equipment.
I'll be checking one bag, carrying the arctic gear duffel and one
carry-on with my electronics (computer, cameras and devices). There is
a possibility that I'll forgo carrying by notebook and instead taking
all my notes on my Samsung Note 3, which I'm going to carry anyway.

Because,

I've got a decent GPS app on the android devices that allows me to
take a quick picture of the screen with my camera, which will give me
the coordinates for entering into Lightroom. This way, I don't need
the 6D. Whenever I stop to shoot pictures, just take a picture of the
android screen so I know where the pictures were taken.

My small D&S tripod (with removable center column for use as a
shoulder-stock) would probably fit into my checked bag. Of course it
would fit in the duffel, but I'm told that it's very poor form to put
anything in that other than your survival gear.

AK Schnozz