Re: [OM] Precise Picture Placement Predicament--I.E. GEOTAG

Subject: Re: [OM] Precise Picture Placement Predicament--I.E. GEOTAG
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 15:21:51 -0400
Accuracy/ease  of geotagging should evolve rapidly with the new chipsets to
emerge.

There's an interesting thing here in tagging photos that doesn't apply to most GPS uses. The tags are of the location of the device, not that of the subject. I like teles, and the distance to the subject may be considerable, and thus inaccurate by nature. I have posted one image of a subject eight miles from the camera, and others quite distant.

Thus, I suggest that accuracy beyond that in the current chips in the Garmins
may not really add anything useful.

I think most new phones will use them---Moose did not like using phone apps for
geotagging in the past

It seems to me that the accuracy of my current iPhone SE is about the same as the Igot-u. Really pretty good out in the open. But subject to considerable error under heavy tree cover and in areas of tall buildings.

The ForeTrex 401 has been very good, just in my shirt pocket. It seemed to go wild in one case in Bhutan, scattering points apparently randomly over a wide area. Easy enough to fix in Geosetter; select one right point and set other photos to it. I don't know what that was about, but it has otherwise been exemplary.

--also runs down battery.

Not really a problem now, with better phone battery life and carrying a spare
recharger battery along.

I expect the power consumption may diminish and accuracy vastly improve.  More
Galileo satellites should be ready and L5 is available but not sure if any
current hardware uses it yet.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/semiconductors/design/superaccurate-gps-chips-coming-to-smartphones-in-2018

Again, might you be projecting from your old tech troubles past current
sufficiency to as yet unknown future devices?

I had yet more trouble with my Igot-u 120 --accuracy NOT very good.  It used to
be fine but I had it on my hat during horse excursions--in pocket, not so good.
 Also I had time issues (forensic analysis showed that to be user error with
cam time off for one day-sigh) and the software is fussy and clunky.

Yup, I got used to it, just doing the minimum conversion to GPX, but I don't miss it. ;-) The Garmin software is truly loopy. Fortunately, for my purposes, it appears as a USB Mass Storage Device in Explorer, and I just copy the GPX file to the image folder(s).

It is small and water resistant and hold 64K trackpoints.  Moose uses a Garmin
Foretrex that is quite accurate and has the usual GPS chip and glonass I think.
The new Broadcom BCM 47755  chip is more expensive and not in any Garmin that I
know of yet. It would cut into profit.  Also the  Foretrex can only store 10K
trackpoints---very weird!!!!

Yes, I don't see why. OTOH, it takes 2-3 days to come close to filling it up,
even at the default settings.

Memory is cheap.  It works perfectly  for Moose as he downloads it almost nightly
into his laptop.  I know one can configure how often it acquires a position so that
might work anyway for shorter trips--still don't like it despite the nice accuracy.
(I read the whole &**^ manual and sent them a query) The Garmin also has the
advantage of usin
  g AAA batteries of any sort.

I like the AAA battery set-up. I swap in a fresh set each evening and recharge
the used ones.

I saw this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-DG-500-Logger-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B071HFL2R3

I like the memory card use as can't possibly fill it  up.  Not sure about the
chipset.

Curiously my fitbit crumped--gift, and still under warranty.  The Ionic has GPS but it is
 very fussy to get the gpx files--have to import the data into Strava?????   Advantage is
I get it for 50% off. If it can use the Gallelo with no L5 (--that data is not easily
available) it should be sufficient after I get the elaborate procedure down. There are
"sport watches" such as Polar vantage--just to come out and has GPS and Glonass
but I don't think use any new chips.  (Large pricy beasts) I was not planning to get a
new phone until next fall and am perplexed as to an optimal solution.

Stumped, Mike

It seems that what you want may not exist, at least without some finagling:

None have a battery that will last several days. So it's either have an external battery pack that will recharge a built-in battery or a bunch of AAA batteries.

The Foretrex 401 storage problem might be overcome with an Apple Camera Adapter or clone and the iOS File app, to copy GPX files to iPhone. Assuming the Garmin mini-USB port is self powered, a separate power supply for the adapter wouldn't be necessary. I may try his when I get home, as it's an option I would like to have.

Day by Day Moose