[OM] Atigun Pass - White on Blue

Subject: [OM] Atigun Pass - White on Blue
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2018 22:43:36 -0800
We're making our way south from Deadhorse. Today, we passed over
Brooks Range and the incredible "Atigun Pass". Atigun is actually a
pretty short pass, but it is a bit intense because of the steepness of
the road and the fact that it's ice covered. They did just add
guardrails in the past year or so, but honestly, they're probably more
like "suggestions" than actual guard rail.
I've seen my share of mountain passes in my life, but I'll put this
one up there as one of the more incredible ones around--especially in
winter.

Here is a photo: "White on Blue" that I took on the way up the pass.
The temperature was bouncing around -11F at that point.

This drive has been an amazing experience. For photography, I give it
a perfect score of "10 Lens Caps". I'm putting this on my "must return
list". To say that it's "highly recommended" is a laughable statement.
It's right there at the top and should be a bucket list item - period.
The guys I've been riding with have travelled this highway for many
years and while they appreciate the summer beauty, this time of year
(winter, but not dark yet) is near perfect.

An update on the Costco gloves I wrote about the other day. They seem
to be fine down to 20F for extended use handling cameras. But when it
gets below zero (F), they're good for about five minutes.

Oh, and here is the link to the picture:

We've made it about an hour south of Coldfoot so far.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx