[OM] Why is metadata stripped from e-mailed images?

Subject: [OM] Why is metadata stripped from e-mailed images?
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 01:17:38 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Occasionally will geotag using my phone--just email the image and use geosetter
to transfer the gps coordinates.
Marnie's phone had the image I needed so sent by email to me---no metadata at
all!!!  Had done this same procedure for years.
Tried a different browser--still no metadata.  Thought it might be a security
setting  changed on her phone so tried one from mine--still no metadata.
Sent one by i-message phone to phone--gps data clearly there. Opened previous
image from email from my phone that Marnie had sent--metadata was there.
Finally sent it via dropbox to my PC--that worked--phew.  Very curious.  Must
be something to do  with webmail on my PC only though I changed nothing.

Confuse A  Mike