Re: [OM] Atigun Pass and the James Dalton Highway

Subject: Re: [OM] Atigun Pass and the James Dalton Highway
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 10:33:48 -0500 (EST)
     I'll stick to imagining how cold it was.

     The coldest temperature I've ever experienced was -70, over Denver at
about 31,000 feet.  A cold front had passed through.  There was ice inside the
cockpit frame.  That temperature broke the pitch actuators on two props, which
turned out later to be the result of an uncalibrated torque wrench at the depot
where the props had been rebuilt, which caused the hydraulic actuaors to crack.
 That incident reulted in all the new H-models being grounded while records
were searched to determine where all the bad props were located.

     BTW:  I don't know if it has been mentioned, but those panels on top of
the pipeling are heat radiators.  They were installed so that the warm
temperature of the oil heating the pipeline and supports would not melt the
permafrost.

>http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=23058
>
>Atigun Pass. James Dalton Highway crossing the Brooks Range. The
>Trans-Alaska Pipeline is shown in this picture. Canon 6D with OM Zuiko
>350-80/2.8.
>
>Yes, it was a little bit chilly.
>
>Any fans of "Ice Road Truckers" should be familiar with Atigun Pass.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson