Re: [OM] OT: Facebook Failure

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Facebook Failure
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 16:11:51 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I was able to get a short, garbled version of my FB page with just the top
and left side about an hour ago.  It took almost a half hour, whereas I
normally get the full page in 5-10 minutes.

     The connectivity I had for most of Monday was actually better than what I
normally see on dialup.  In the recent past, I've had to refresh once or twice
to be able to have access to notifications and messages.  On Monday it all came
on the initial connection.  But then all hell broke loose Monday night and all
I see since then by way of downdetector is FB bouncing off the bottom.

     Looking at the TCP listing here, they seem to have bypassed that portal
(?) in Dallas/Fort Worth, but then the other portals are crashing in turn.
I've lost track of how many they're attempting to use.

>> A few thousand people having trouble on a social network with 2
>>billion users is nothing.
>
>Actually, those few thousand people are only those who have gone out
>of their way to report the problem on this specific website. According
>to my sources, this is affecting millions of users. The normal cascade
>function that allows users to migrate over to other data centers is
>apparently not functioning and the way to get around it is for an ISP
>to adjust the routing tables to redirect FB traffic to another peering
>point. FB isn't revealing what the root cause is, but they are
>communicating with the Tier-1 and Tier-2 providers on how to restore
>some of the service.
>
>It really is bad. There are many FB employees who won't get their
>turkey dinner tomorrow.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson