Re: [OM] Seward Highway and Turnagain Arm

Subject: Re: [OM] Seward Highway and Turnagain Arm
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 11:18:10 -0900
>      Interesting.  The highway is straighter than the railroad.  Why all of
> the pullouts along the highway?

That is interesting. There is some historical reason for the little
curves in the railroad. I suspect that the highway was equally as
twisted until it was redone a few years ago. Both were rebuilt after
the '64 earthquake when the shoreline sank about 8 feet. There were
numerous landslides too. And we continue to get landslides through
there too.

The number of pullouts is because of the scenery as well as for safe
passing. The law states that on the Seward Highway, you're supposed to
pull over and let vehicles pass if there are more than five behind
you. This stretch is probably the most concentrated of them, though.
There are a lot of things to sight-see along the Turnagain Arm.
Extreme tides, (tidal bores), beluga whales, and awesome scenery. But
it's also a dangerous bit of road. There are always a lot of severe
accidents through there.

This was my first time hiking any of the trails between Anchorage and
Portage. It really is rough trying to figure out which trails to hike
next. I would like to do "Bird Ridge Trail". Those views are supposed
to be pretty epic.

AG