Re: [OM] Meet real precision

Subject: Re: [OM] Meet real precision
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 21:33:47 -0800
Some new configuration of ytterbium optical lattice clock it seems.
Reproducible to the 10**-18 level and should be a tool to
detect gravitational waves and probe for detection of dark matter--very cool.

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-developed-atomic-clocks-so-precise-they-could-detect-gravitational-waves

Not exactly like my Grandmother's Tiffany never-wind which was an early battery
powered torsion pendulum clock from early 1920's. I think I may have broken it
as a kid trying to tinker with it.
It was back impulsing so had to install a diode which I doubt is appropriate
for the time.  Could never get it more accurate than 2-3 min/day and sent it to
3 electrical horologists.  They could not do that much.  There apparently are
just some problem clocks.

Both the history of clocks, (esp. the drive to develop a shipboard clock accurate enough for latitude determination) and chaos theory show that such a design can never be very accurate. Smaller size/higher frequency make for accuracy.

Among my too many watches, a $10 Chinese off brand and a $40 Timex are the ones that don't need resetting between time and battery changes.

BTW, I can't imagine you wouldn't enjoy a visit to the Willard House & Clock Museum <https://willardhouse.org/>  in Grafton. We spent a pleasant and informative hour or so on the tour. I can't imagine you wouldn't find the gear making machines fascinating.

Horo Logical Moose