Re: [OM] Anchorage Earthquakes

Subject: Re: [OM] Anchorage Earthquakes
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2018 00:31:48 -0900
> Good for you, Ken.  I wasn’t aware that Alaska was near fault lines, but it
> sounds pretty serious.

It's a very active area. Volcanoes and everything.

> I hope that your new house remains your home.

Probably should be OK. But there is definitely some structura damage
that will need to be fixed. However, we did just relocate to a
different bedroom in the house. The master bedroom in the back is over
three floors above the ground and moves a LOT. The bedrooms in front
don't move nearly as much. We're getting numerous 4.5 o 5,2
aftershocks per hour.

The 5.2 ones definitely get your attention.

What's different with this earthquake is that the rating isn't at some
far off point, but is right here. Only 10 miles away. And it's a
shallow one.

I just talked with a coworker that got back into the office a little
bit ago to get her laptop. Over half the building is off-limits and
the rest is escort-only. One part is busted up really bad with
concrete walls and floors shattered. Glass is everywhere and ceilings
are trashed.

I saw that somebody videoed through our office and it made it onto national TV.

The south end of Anchorage saw very little damage. The north-end and
the Eagle River area (and the base) got it hard. Wasilla is also hit
hard. Lot's of damage up there in that community.

AG