Re: [OM] Anchorage Earthquakes

Subject: Re: [OM] Anchorage Earthquakes
From: john hudson <om4t@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 14:22:21 -0400
Simple ............ no insurance, no payouts from any source, period !

Otherwise, moral hazard just got a massive shot in the arm !

If the insurers do pay out, one thing is certain .................. MASSIVE
increases in annual premiums thereafter or a total withdrawal from the
earthquake insurance market.

We had earthquake insurance on our house in metro Vancouver, BC in the 1990s.
Friends and neighbours thought we were nuts ! We did experience a mild 3 point
something tremor but no damage.

Back then the provincial governments earthquakes' emergency response centre was
located on the upper floors of a tall building in metro Vancouver. When there
was an emergency test drill the building had to be vacated and the drill's
procedures flopped !

Anchorage is just one of numerous big centres along the same fault line
.......... others are Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles,
San Diego..... etc. Oh, and several nuclear power stations in California.
Anchorage's damages would be trivial compared to what a "big one" [say a 9.0 +]
would do else where along the same fault line.

jh