Re: [OM] Drones

Subject: Re: [OM] Drones
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 16:42:36 +1030
I'd suggest taking a look at the FAA regulations on these, there has
been a lot of fuss about them recently. It appears that Canada and the
UK have (probably correctly) moved these devices into the same operation
mode as normal model aircraft.

Recently size classes, and operator certifications have been topics of
controversy, as well as applications by big corporate to deny
non-commercial use of  the low-level airspace that these operate in.  A
New Zealand YT channel (xjet) has recently shown video of US
approriation bill hearings (for FAA funding I think), with submissions
from big corporate, and the model aircraft lobby group was (apparently)
conspicuously absent.

Some of these devices have an inbuilt GPS that prevents operation in
no-fly areas. I find it ironic that there are many videos of people
showing ways to defeat this safety feature, and then in the next video
complaining about over-regulation. :)

Personally, I live in a strict no-fly zone becaue of two nearby
airports, but see these things in the air locally from time to time (and
I guess this could be law enforcement looking for particular types of
umm.... err.... "trees" :) ) so I reckon some basic testing of operators
is a good thing, if only to ensure people know what they are doing.
There are mobile apps that can be used to determine the status of local
airspace for drones .

davidt