Re: [OM] Drones

Subject: Re: [OM] Drones
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 10:31:44 -0800
> From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
>
> I think that a rifle would be almost useless… a nicely choked 12-bore might
> do the trick, provided it wasn?t too far away.

I was going to say something similar, but you beat me to it.

Do they make shotguns with IBIS? :-)

> But it would be illegal, I reckon :-)

Depends on where you live and what you do.

Many North American states and provinces have things loosely called “Right to
Farm” laws, which protect farmers’ right to protect livestock with lethal
force, among other things. In British Columbia, it is limited to land zoned for
agricultural use.

From the range of a choked twelve-gauge, it’s sorta hard to tell a drone from a
hawk going after our chickens! :-)

Also in BC, drones are considered “model aircraft,” and can only be flown over
public land, or private land with the owner’s permission, no closer than 10km
to an airport. Otherwise, it is considered criminal trespass.

Jan