Re: [OM] USB to SCSI scanner connection

Subject: Re: [OM] USB to SCSI scanner connection
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 22:07:33 -0800
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

"scanning" by photograph with digicam works.
Even inexpensive digicams are so good these days, that I think this is the best
option, for the widest variety of prints and film.

I mentioned it to be complete, and because there are folks who like it. Personally, life is too short for scanning without IR channel for spot/scratch removal.

At that point, your challenge is one of taking a technically good picture, and
we are all photographers here, no?

Whereas trying to glue bits of ancient computers, cards, scanners, drivers, and
software together requires electrical engineering and software engineering,
combined with hardware and software archeology.

Who has the time for that?

Agreed, unless it's someone who finds that fun! ;-)

My solution is simpler, USB scanners. I originally used SCSI for my Canon 4000FS film scanner. Then, after upgrading SCSI card for one computer, when I got the next one, I tried the USB interface first. Wonder of wonders, whatever made USB so much slower before was cured by later USB 2.0 Hi Speed hardware in the computer. USB scanning is now hardware scanning element movement limited, as it was with SCSI.

Set up a copy stand. Figure out some good lighting. Get or use the proper macro
lens, extensions, filters, whatever. Then Bob's your uncle!
Great, if I can find an unpaid intern to do spotting. :-)  But wait, I want the
intern to do keywording.
And you can do this for everything from microfiche to large prints, with
basically the same set of equipment.

The biggest bugaboo is with negative film. That will take some Photoshop (or equivalent)
work. Basically, reverse the slope and click "auto colour" on something that's
supposed to be grey, to get rid of the orange mask.

There are more sophisticated, and accurate, ways to do that. ICC profiles are one. Do I remember? Something like invert and convert profile in PS?

Again, a proper scanner and VueScan are the simple, effective solution.

Spotless Moose