Re: [OM] More Stock Woes

Subject: Re: [OM] More Stock Woes
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2018 22:22:31 -0900
I'm selling both direct and through Alamy. It groused me greatly when
they decided to get into microstock. Fortunately, they've been trying
to unwind that mistake as bet as they can.

I have most images setup as Rights Managed, but some as Royalty Free.
The decision of which is which is based on whether or not it's an
image that I'm, uh, proud of. :) And also if it's just an illustration
or a work of art. An image of a sign post along a roadway isn't the
type of picture that really needs rights managed as it can sell over
and over again and be used for a myriad of purposes with no
exclusivity--it will usually be used as part of an image composite.
But if the picture has any uniqueness or can be used for any form of
display purpose, I'm certainly going to keep it Rights Managed.

That photographer's bridge picture is a more unusual situation because
it's an unique enough of an image that it should never have been put
on that particular microstock site, and the customer should never used
it because no exclusivity means that the same image could have been
used in the same market.

AG