Re: [OM] Shakes Rattles Rolls

Subject: Re: [OM] Shakes Rattles Rolls
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 14:56:22 -0800
Speaking of disasters, we got our power back after just 44 hours, 47 minutes,
and 50 seconds after the worst wind storm in some 20 years hit last Thursday.
100 knot gusts were clocked. At peak disruption, BC Hydro reports as many as
800,000 people were without electricity. There are still about 17,000 without
power. We lost a 140-year-old pear tree.

But we’re on a main road. People in remote areas of our island have been told
it may be a week or more.

There’s a “strata” across the street (that’s Canadian for a land-sharing
situation similar to a “condominium” in the US) that has a private power
distribution system to some dozen houses spread across some 70 acres. They’re
on a forested slope, and there are trees down everywhere. BC Hydro came to
their “demarcation” near the road, and said, “Works fine here! Good luck!”
They’re looking at perhaps $100,000 to get their power back, not covered by
insurance!

Of course, this doesn’t really compare to Ken’s situation, but wherever you
are, be thankful that your lights are on and the weather isn’t coming through
the cracks.

Jan