Re: [OM] Shakes Rattles Rolls

Subject: Re: [OM] Shakes Rattles Rolls
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 13:34:53 -0800
> From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
>
> It is sad to lose old trees, but fruit trees have a special history.

The saddest part is that a greedy developer killed these trees.

They put in a leach field between the trees and their drainage. This tree, and
the one we lost two years ago, were in a soggy swamp for half the year. Fruit
trees don’t like wet feet all winter. The upended root shows that the surface
feeder roots died back and rotted off.

Plus, the devolper did a lot of other stupid things, like put a driveway under
the tree’s branches. That killed the feeder roots on that side, and the
corresponding branches above the driveway died. It didn’t take much for the
tree to be blown the other way.

I’m not much into big gubamint telling people how to lead their lives, but it
seems that, at least an arborist should have been consulted when the earthworks
were done.

Those trees had lived through 140 years, two world wars, the Great Depression,
and many other things. A greedy developer owned the property for a scant three
years, and killed them.

We have nine left, and I’m in the process of making sure they have an easy
life. The developer put a decorative stone retaining wall and terrace too close
to two other trees that are having a hard time. I’m trying to figure out how to
save them.

Folks, when doing earthworks around a tree, look up. If you are inside the
branch tips (the “drip line”), you're gonna damage their roots if you dig there.

Jan