[OM] Which Zuikos make good sunstars?

Subject: [OM] Which Zuikos make good sunstars?
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 22:49:17 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Important  variables include number of aperture blades including whether even
or odd, and whether the blades are curved or straight--straight is better
for sunstar formation.   Sonnie has some lenses that have rounded aperture
shape with wide apertures and then straight blades for smaller ones--not sure
how they pull
that off. Some lenses have to be stopped down more than others to get good
sunstars.  There is a topaz plug-in for PS among others if all else fails.
Straight blades though can yield harsher bokeh especially OOF specular
highlights.

For one the Z. 50-250 has quite straight blades and seems to be good at this.

Marnie and I set up this shot on the Zakim.

The Z. 50/1.4, at least my version, is not good at sunstars.  I used it in
Lofoten but had to clean up messy stars in PS.

https://www.olyendomike.com/Norway-2018/i-m65SXJj/A

BTW, when we were there "sundown" was at 2:30 AM and sunrise at 4AM--never
really got dark so no astro or aurora shots of course.

I don't recall a thread on this but this is the place to check

Starry eyed by Zuikos or blinded by the light, Mike